Sunday, April 5, 2015

History Essay


Downpour
            Most people get confused and do not know how to behave when they face disasters. Natural disasters cause a lot of damage that cost a lot of money and time to fix. Four years ago, my country, Saudi Arabia, had a heavy rain fall, so most streets were flooded. At the same time, the water started to seep into schools and houses including our house. As a result, schools had to close for many days until they got fixed. Most families in Saudi Arabia had to leave to their relatives’ and friends’ houses for a short time including my family. The flood in Saudi Arabia caused a lot of damage and had a horrible effect on my family.


            At the beginning, the heavy rainfall caused a flood in my parents’ house, and made us temporarily move to my grandmother’s house. Everything was normal until it started to rain, and the water started to seep down from the roof. My father put some buckets around the house to stop the water from going on the floor. However, it began to rain heavily, so it caused flooding in the streets, and the water started to go inside from everywhere and flooded the house. That is when we decided to leave and move in with the stuff that has our memories. My grandmother’s house was safe because it was in a higher part of the city. We stayed there for a couple of weeks until we fixed our house from the flood. That flood was a major disaster in Saudi Arabia because it caused many people to move to their relatives’ and friends’ houses for a while until they could repair the damaged houses.


In addition, one of my cousins had a bad experience during the flood, and almost lost his life. My cousin was out walking back to his house while it was raining, so he decided to stand under something to cover him until the rain stopped. Unfortunately, the rain got stronger and the water level started getting higher. He thought he might drown, so he decided to run to the house before it got worse. When he was running fast, he slipped and fell down into the water and could not swim because his foot he injured. Luckily, someone saw him struggling in the water, and helped him get out from the flood. Moreover, since what happened to him that day, he never goes out from the house while it is raining because the memory of that day was unforgettable.


            Furthermore, the flood in Saudi Arabia caused some schools to close for weeks, and made parents worry about their kids while they are at school. Most schools opened their doors after many days from the disaster. For other schools, the doors were broken, and classrooms were completely flooded. It took a lot of money and time until they fixed the damage. After what happened, parents started to worry about their kids because they would have been in real danger if they were in the classrooms during the flood. Thus, all schools started teaching their students how to be safe if they face disasters like that. Also, now when it starts raining, all schools must let their students go to their houses immediately. Therefore, parents are not worried about their kids like before because schools taught them how to be safe in dangerous situations.



            Finally, though my parents had a hard situation with the flood in the house, they tried to do their best to protect me. Without my parents, I would not have known what to do to help myself. The flood taught me how to survive and help other people if I faced it again. Although people face hard situations which they cannot forget, they try to make it a reason to move on. All schools must teach their students how to follow evacuation rules when they face problems such as floods, or any other dangerous situations. Therefore, I learned many things after I faced this situation, but most importantly I learned how to take care of myself.


11 comments:

  1. It's so sad to hear that story. I remember when my parents told me about similar situation they had in Poland before I was born.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so sad to hear that story. I remember when my parents told me about similar situation they had in Poland before I was born.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, but the most important thing that almost everyone was fine after what happened.

      Delete
  3. I think flooding was impressive to your childhood time, right, but at least that happening was good experience for your life. My country had same problem when I was 8 years old , but it was not that bad as your country. But , you know what, i like it because my school was closed many days, and I did not have to go to school ( only thinking of kids)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually yeah it was! of course, this is the best part of the flood :)

      Delete
  4. Hi,
    Your essay is really good and the story is incredible and sad too. It's incredible to see all the damages that the rain can do. In France we have a lot of rain-disaster too and we always have people who died of this natural disaster, most of the time they are drowned...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I appreciate it. Unfortunately, floods could happen anywhere as long as it's raining so hard, and we usually hear or see in the news about people who get drowned from floods.

      Delete
  5. Wow.. Your essay is incredible but sad. Ukraine never had any natural disasters. I guess, this is one of the country's benefits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, that's amazing. Yeah I think it is.

      Delete
  6. It is so sad to know that you have faced the disaster in your city.Natural disasters is inevitable, I never know what should I do if I meet the disaster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah they are, before I face this disaster I was the same as you, but now if I face this situation again, I will be able to be calm and try to control the situation as much as I can.

      Delete