Sunday, April 5, 2015


                                                    American dream
            Thirty years ago, China was poor and it had been through some serious economic and political revolutions. There was nothing to compare with the United States, such as skyscrapers, air- conditioning, and printer. No one had seen those things in China, and thirty years ago, my uncle’s young brother went to the United States as an international student with the scholarship that hugely impacted my uncle. He told my uncle about how prosperous the United States was. Although my uncle was married at that time, and a college professor, he still made the decision to give up his job and go to the United States to study because he was curious and wanted to see the most powerful country of the world. This decision hugely affected my uncle’s family and my life.



30 years ago the city of China


nowadays

            My uncle he had to support his family in China as an international student even while he was in the U.S. He did not like that his brother had scholarship that could support his life. As a result, he went through some bad time at that moment. He had to do some work after study so he could support his life, expensive tuition and telephone payment because he had a pregnant wife in China, and at that time my aunt always supported my uncle. She said that things are always the hardest at the beginning, and she also wanted to see how the United States looked. I clearly remember when my uncle told me about the first time that he saw Chicago. The office building had light on every second. It did not matter if there were people working there, even at midnight, light and air conditioning still had worked. In fact no one ever turned them off.
            My uncle always thought that he was a far-sighted man. He never regretted his decision to move to the United States, but, that maintaining a good job in the United States was difficult. After three years of efforts, my uncle’s family was allowed to move to the United States. He was working at a biscuit factory as a good food inspector, and my aunt began working on her MBA degree. My cousin went to kindergarten. Everything was going well, except they did not have their own house. As the years passed, the biscuit factory started using a bunch of machines that could examine whether or not the biscuit were qualified, which was faster and more effective than human being. Since that day, my uncle had worried about possibility that he would be fired on one day. After couples of week, my uncle quit that job and decided to study computer science at Illinois Institute of technology.
            Since my uncle quit his job, my uncle’s family experienced hard time again. My aunt had to suspend her studies and to find out a work at restaurant to support her family. My aunt was a typical traditional Chinese. For family, she would sacrifice most things. During my uncle study’s time, she awaked up early to prepare breakfast for her family and went to work every day. She did not share her lunch and dinner with her husband and son because she had to work until late, but like people said as long as you work hard, there will always be harvest. Eventually, after graduated, my uncle was hired to work for the government as a policeman focusing on computer system and date-analysis.

Family is the trigger that can make people move forward and is the most important treasure to everybody in this world. I know that I was able to come to this country because of my uncle family’s effort. By their hard work and plain living, I realize that I have to work really hard so my family can live better one day.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Hanwo
    Everything is very hard at beginning. Your uncle's family had a hard time lived in Chicago at first. However, thing were changed. It is great they have a better life finally.

    ReplyDelete