Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Essay



Shopping in Saudi
                “Whoever said money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to go shopping.” Bo Derek. Every culture has its own traditions and life, and people just need to adjust and find the balance between both of them. It is hard for some people to change their daily life when they move to a new country, but it is easier for others. For me, it was easier than others to adjust to the United States because there are many common things between Saudi and U.S culture. Though there are things in common, there are some special things that happen at night, which made me miss my country more than ever.


            The shopping culture in Saudi Arabia is much better than the United States because stores do not close early. Most stores do not close until midnight, so people can go shopping at 11 o’clock if want to. It is much better to go shopping at night because many people do not go at this time. Since I came to the United States, I did not find any store that stays open after 9:00 PM except bars and fast food restaurants. Shopping during the day is stressful because stores are crowded and people who work there cannot help all customers. I prefer go shopping at night because stores are empty, peaceful, and I can take my time without anybody bothering me.


            In addition, food trucks in Saudi Arabia were my favorite part of walking in the street at night. The sharp and smoky smell from the trucks made me hungry even if I had eaten something. Some food trucks have a special taste in their burgers because secret ingredients are used which make it taste peppery and juicy. I have tried many food trucks in the U.S, but none of them have special spices or taste in their food. I think it would be better if the food trucks in the U.S added secret ingredients in the food to make people from everywhere come to try their special tastes.


Another missing feature is the attractive designs. When I walk in the U.S. streets at night, I do not see stores have special designs or black lights to attract customers. In Saudi Arabia, most stores use unique designs to attract customers. In fact, they put black lights and multi-color lights to make the store look colorful and unique at night. It is a very popular way in my country to attract people to visit the store even if they do not buy anything. In addition, lights in the U.S. are tame compared to Saudi. Therefore, this is one of the most things that I liked in my country at night, and have not seen it in Chicago yet.



When I first came to the U.S, it was a little hard to adapt to a new culture, but after a while I started to adjust to living in it. I wish that stores stayed open until the midnight, so it would be easier for me to go shopping. In addition, I wish that food trucks made better and tastier food, and see many stores have unique designs. After living here for a year, I no longer pay attention to all that, and these aspects have become something normal for me. Everyone at the beginning of a new life confronts adversities, but after a while they get accustomed to them as they become a part of their lives.

7 comments:

  1. My country have a lot of food trucks store at night, which sell cheap and delicious food.In the U.S., if you want to try a new and great taste of foods, you have to go the famous restaurant, so you will enjoy the special taste of American foods. however, those famous restaurant and great taste are so expensive. Anyway, food trucks are the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, that's why I like food trucks they're my favorite.

      Delete
  2. This a perfect essay. but i have a question: so you think money can buy happiness.??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I appreciate it. Yes, I think so. Like spend some of it to feed people who are hungry or need help.

      Delete
  3. Shopping !! That's what I like. Hmm but I think that people who are working in the stores also need a free time for themselfs and their families. For me there is no difference between shopping in Poland and here, because stores are working at exactly same time, but here, I can find a way better products and a way more products than in Poland.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shopping !! That's what I like. Hmm but I think that people who are working in the stores also need a free time for themselfs and their families. For me there is no difference between shopping in Poland and here, because stores are working at exactly same time, but here, I can find a way better products and a way more products than in Poland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! yeah you are right the same for my country. The products here are much better and more stylish than back home.

      Delete