Friday, February 13, 2015

MY NAME


           
My name is Ngoc. It does not have any special meaning, but I like when people call me by full name because in English, Ngoc means Jade. My last name is To, which means a big bowl in Viet Nam.  A big bowl of jade, it kind of means I am rich person

I got my name from my grandfather, and he liked to read fiction. I heard from my mom that my grandfather made a list of the names before I was born and he carefully considered the meaning of each one. All of the names came from the main characters’ of the novels that he had read. In Vietnam, people really loved jade because jade has a deep green color like a forest. 

In addition, old people always compare forests to gold, oceans to  silver. That was why a lot people chose Jade for their kid’s name and became a popular name at that time. When I was in school, I always had at least two classmates with the same name. I know that my name is insignificant to many people, but it was from my grandfather, and I think that he wanted me to became a beautiful and rich person in the future like my name Jade.

No comments:

Post a Comment