Sunday, March 1, 2015

Epiphany Holiday in Ukraine

 
 
 

Epiphany Holiday in Ukraine

            It was a cold clear night that produced a chill in the air from a temperature of minus five degrees Celsius. A bright starry night from a full moon made the pure white snow shimmer in the moonlight.  I was driving with my sister from our parent’s house where we had a wonderful time with our family and close relatives eating traditional dishes like Kutia, which is made from wheat, honey and poppy seed for Epiphany Night. We drank, sang, and danced all day long. This night was so calm we could hear the sound of the snow crunching beneath the tires. It was the perfect night to celebrate Epiphany by taking a dip in our favorite ice covered pond. As we walked across the frozen pond, I did not know that soon I would move to the United States.  It was last time I went ice swimming. Epiphany is a religious feast, popularly called “Blessing of Water” or “The second Holy Eve”, which completes the winter holidays cycle in Ukraine. My memories and amazing feelings from dipping in to the ice pond are very deep in my heart. After moving to the United States, I discovered that Epiphany Day on January 18 was not a major holiday, which means that the meaning of this holiday had been lost.                                  

 
          Ice swimming is one very important part of the Epiphany celebration that has disappeared from my life. It was very hard to get used to the idea that I am not going to go ice swimming anymore because the United States has its own holidays.  Epiphany is an annual event in Ukraine. The tradition is where people make an ice hole in the shape of a cross by using an ice cutter in lakes, rivers and ponds where the water freezes over.  This hole is usually around two meters deep. Fans of bathing in icy water are both religious and non-religious.   Orthodox Christians believe that their plunge into the ice will bring them health and happiness. My family used to go to church and we were given blessed water from the priest. Epiphany water was considered to be universal medicine from all diseases.  Bottles filled with it stood in our house all year round. My fiancé is my new family in the United States, but he is not interested in going to church to bless the water, so this experience the same like ice swimming is gone.
         


     When I was a little girl, I used to travel with a lot of kids from house to house in order to ask for pastries or candies by singing holiday carols.  Some people would give us money, which was my favorite part.   It was very difficult to adjust to  my new life where I am missing very important parts of my culture. Ukrainian Americans rebuilt their holidays on American holidays and American ways of celebrating them. Some Ukrainians still celebrate Epiphany day, but without the excitement, and those happy children’s eyes who sang holiday carols.  I have a lot of warm memories in my heart from those holiday carols.                                                                             

           Furthermore, I do not have any feeling of magic, or mystery when Epiphany day comes in the United States.  Children are not running around, and not interested in to predicting the future like we used to do with my friends, most Ukrainians believe that there is a lot of magic during the Epiphany Day. We could even see our future or find out the name of our future husband. There are a number of ways how this was done. In one example, we used to look through a wedding ring at the moon to see the future.  We would also, write the man’s name on pieces of paper, and placed them under our pillow, and then in the morning pick one. The name of that man would supposedly be the name of our future husbands.  It did not really work well, but we believed in it, and had a lot of fun playing this game. This part of my life is very deep in my heart.                                                                                                                                                                      

           My Ukrainian friends in the United States do not put a lot of effort, or creativity in cooking something traditional on any holiday. When we meet, everyone brings something in, but mostly it is precooked dishes, and that is why I miss the taste of Kutia that my mother used to cook on this holiday. I miss the beautiful countryside, and my special pond, where we would jump in and feel the cold rush throughout our bodies.  I feel like my soul is crying over this lost holiday which was part of me.  I am trying to get my Ukrainian and Russian friends in the United States to remember how special Epiphany was in both countries, so we can put a special trip together to Lake Delavan in Wisconsin, on January 19th, and celebrate it as we did in back home.




       



 

10 comments:

  1. The story sound like your holiday completely lost in this country. however, the game was interesting, and it made me want to enjoy that game because I wonder to know my husband's name in the future. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you know how to do this. If you need any help I am open to share more details:))) Thank you for reading my essay.

      Delete
  2. Hi Larysa!
    I love your your story especially the introduction! I like a lot the way you did it!
    Your story is very interesting for me because I didn't know the way that you celebrate the Epiphany in your country and I had not read or heard bout it.
    Reading your story, I could noticed one more time the importance of our families and our culture for everybody. It is a profound mark within us.

    Thanks for sharing!

    = D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Adriana, it is very nice to know that you enjoyed my story. It was my first essay in many years. You are right about the importance of families, because I noted this part in every essay that I read here .It seems to me that we are all missing our families. Every essay that I read here was very unique in its own way.

      Delete
  3. I got shock when I was reading until ice swimming. How could you guys do it. However, the magic is my favorite part. Good idea and good point, well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Qingji. Well... you know that you can use to do anything. It does not take a lot of practice, believe me:). By the way, Lady Gaga did the same but in lake Michigan a few weeks ago.

      Delete
  4. I got shock when I was reading until ice swimming. How could you guys do it. However, the magic is my favorite part. Good idea and good point, well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the magic part was the favorite game for children under fifteen years old in Ukraine.

      Delete
  5. ur country looks like having a lot of fun. I have learn some ur country's culture from ur eassy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, you are right! Every culture is interesting in its own way.

    ReplyDelete