Thursday, March 5, 2015

essay


Leslie Mercedes Lopez

English 100

March 5, 2015

Lost in a New Land

               Festivals are celebrated in every country; each has their own way of doing it. In the Dominican Republic, my family, my friends, and I used to get together and celebrate Carnaval each February. The festival in the Dominican Republic cannot be compared to the festivals in other countries. Since I have been living in the United States, I have never experienced something as beautiful and unique as Carnaval. In effect, living in the United States has changed the way of celebrating Carnaval, and there is no way Carnaval in Chicago will ever match the festivities in Dominican Republic.

              One of the aspect of Carnaval that will always be lost are the parades which are known for how different and unique they are each year. The colors of the costumes the people wear the most special things in the parades, but also this made the parades so different and unique compared to other countries. There was nothing like looking at the people and seeing their new costumes each year. Those days were made to be fun and have a good time. I have been trying to do my best and not think about the parades in Dominican Republic, but every time I go to a festival or to a parade. In Chicago I start thinking about how different it was when I was living in Dominican Republic. I was happier with all the things I was able to enjoy back on those days.

               In addition, my family has always been part of my life. All of us used to celebrate carnaval together each year, but all of this changed when my family started immigrating to the United States. Our meetings have never been the same again. In the United States, we never went to a parade or festival as a family. When all the members of my family finally came to the United States, each of them started going to different states to start their own lives, which was something new for me. I never saw my family falling apart until that day. The United States has made a big change in my life and family. Since we emigrated from the Dominican Republic to the United States four years ago. The United States has become a house for me, even thought my family is not together anymore. There is one think my family always tells me that changes another word for opportunities because changes are always around me anywhere I go.

               Finally, going to the carnaval with friends in Dominican Republic was awesome; everyone was happy, paying attention and having fun at the Carnaval events festival. I have always been used to the way my friends behaved in the Dominican Republic. My friends in back home would never let me do things that I’m not supposed to do because they care about me. However in Chicago, mostly all the teenagers get drunk and forget about everything when we go to a festival now. The new friends I meet here can’t be compared to the ones I had for years in Dominican Republic. The friends I meet here in the United States are not good. They don’t like to read or study, they only care about going out and drinking, but my friends in Dominican Republic will always be in my mind and heart because they are good people and they care about me as I care about them even though I came to the United States. I like friends that I can share my ideas and thoughts with people with the ones I can enjoy the time and have real fun, not people who don’t even care about themselves.



             There’s nothing like the Festivals in the Dominican Republic which I can share with my family and friends and also enjoy a nice time watching the carnaval parades. Changing places has really changed the way I see and enjoy festivals as carnaval. The  United States is great is country and has a lot of beautiful places, but this will never be equal to Dominican Republic, my beautiful land, the one I lost and will never get back. Now, my life is here in this beautiful lost land.

7 comments:

  1. I agree with you that festivals back home are so different and much better than the one they make here. Though there are bad friends, but that doesn't mean that all friends are bad. Every country there are good friends who make you a better person or bad friends who make you do things that you are not supposed to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leslie I like your essay! I like all the things you sharing!
    I'm thinking to know your country in the coming months!
    I know too, that the U.S. is quite different of our countries. I agree that the U.S. is an amazing place but in our heart always will be our homeland. However, we can allow us to open our heart for new people and new places.
    I think, you can find good friends here! There are good people here, too. We can go hang out someday if you want!

    My best wishes!

    Thanks for sharing!

    = )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    Your essay makes me dream ! In France we don't have carnaval like that so I can't understand you but it looks like magical and wonderful ! I would like to see a carnaval like that !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your essay.The carnaval sound great! I really want to experience this great celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. such a beautiful festival!!! I really hope that I can join it for one day~~~ Chicago is not a warm city, so there are not so many interesting festival as southern cities. Anyway, I hope you will enjoy the summer of Chicago!!

    ReplyDelete