Tuesday, March 10, 2015

The Lost One

            Don’t wait to lose. Just know how to be grateful. People always get something or learn something as they grow up, but they may also lose something they had. Some things will disappear for good, which may make a person be stronger or more grateful, especially when people arrive in another country, like me. When I came to the US, my first thought was how amazing it would be, and I would walk on the broad road of the US. I dreamed I could have Starbucks coffee every day that I never had in China, and I could go to the university with American classmates. I would also enjoy the beautiful weather and culture. Of course, my parents and my friends would be really pound of me, and they would think I have a better life. However, the truth is not always as it seems. There are several thing I have lost since coming to the US.

            First, I lost my communication skills when I wanted to talk to people. In China, I could dare to go anywhere I wanted because I speak Chinese, and I understood all the signs. If I wanted to go the zoo or museum, I could take the bus or subway to get there even if I had never been there before, or I could ask the passengers or the strangers as well. I had nothing to be afraid of, whereas, in Chicago I couldn’t go out by myself in the first year. When I wanted to ask something to the strangers outside, I was so afraid. I was afraid my speaking and listening skills were not very good. As a result, I would stay home all day instead of going out to explore the city.
            Without going out too much, I became a little introverted. I didn’t want to talk to anybody. There was also something missing between my family and me. After I came to the US, I felt much more vacuous, and I always felt lonely. I couldn’t see my family every day when I got home. I couldn't see them around, and I couldn’t spend time with them. I thought there was something wrong about this apartment. I used FaceTime with them only twice a week. Because of the time difference, or the work conflict, we only talked about ten minutes. Sometimes they would ask me some silly question, like “How is your sleep? Do you eat on time? Don’t get cold. Eat some more fruits” Those questions showed they care about me. And they wanted to make sure I am fine, but sometimes those questions drove me crazy and were annoying. Because they didn’t know about the culture difference between these two countries. There has always been a layer of the generation gap between my family and me since I lived in the US.

            Last, I have lived in the US for five years, so people may think I would have some friends because Americans are friendly and nice to each other, but I haven’t make any friends like my old friends in China. I couldn’t get their phone numbers. If I got someone’s, and I wanted to call him and talk to him, some didn’t have too much time. People get to know each easily here, but these friends are just “friends”. We only know our names and faces. This is not the same thing between my friends and me back home. We usually hung out all the time, and called each other brothers, we would even call each other’s parents mom or dad. We were like a family, and we relayed on each other. If someone had a problem, we would deal with it together, and we would help each other all the time.



            On the way to growing process, I lost my naivety to be a man. I lost my passion to be a man. I lost my simpleness to be a man. When we have something in our lives, we need to be grateful, and we need to take care it very well. Right now I feel a little regretful when I have my family around and my friends around because I didn’t cherish them, maybe which would make me to grow up.

18 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a great essay. It reminds me of myself because when i go back to my apartment in Chicago, i miss seeing my family. They ask me the same question you talked about as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading your essay, it reminds my dad in Vietnam becaue he usually picked me up after school.In the U.S., I desire the feeling of waiting my dad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was interesting that you said friends in U.S are just means " friends". I know what you mean, maybe it is the difference between china and America. And it just hard to find a best friend that can be like a family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought the same thing about the U.S when I was in my country. I thought much bigger than I expect. My parents also say the same thing to me like be warm and be careful when you walk in the streets at night. No matter how old we get, they still our parents and they have to be scared on us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your story!! I also wish I cherished the time I spent with my family and friends back in my country because I feel lonely here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like way how you introduced your "Brothers" in China in your essay, it sounds wonderful when you have a friend who can always be together with you, and treat each other like a family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have great family and friends in your landhome! I like your story and all the details!
    And think that yes, is important to be grateful but I think that is important first, to live the process. I mean, to move to Chicago or wherever, is a big challenge. It is not a simple thing. And I believe we can be grateful one day, but maybe tomorrow we will be sad or missing our family and friends. It is normal... but I learned this along the process...

    Thanks for sharing!!!

    = )

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have great family and friends in your landhome! I like your story and all the details!
    And think that yes, is important to be grateful but I think that is important first, to live the process. I mean, to move to Chicago or wherever, is a big challenge. It is not a simple thing. And I believe we can be grateful one day, but maybe tomorrow we will be sad or missing our family and friends. It is normal... but I learned this along the process...

    Thanks for sharing!!!

    = )

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like you have experienced what all immigrants have gone through . I get an impression that your close friends are friends that you grew up with all your life. I like your essay and I can relate to you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really liked your essay ! It was really interesting because I've never had this experience. I think it is because our immigration were different. I came with my family, my parents and all of my sisters compared to you. But I understand you, if I came alone I'll be like you and I'll feel lost and alone too. I hope today it is much better !

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is a good essay. I also miss the feeling like yours.I really miss my friends and families who are in China.

    ReplyDelete
  14. it is a good essay, and I think most Chinese people have the same problem with communication. I didn't have any friend since I came America, so i could feel the lonely. You did a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  15. it is a good essay, and I think most Chinese people have the same problem with communication. I didn't have any friend since I came America, so i could feel the lonely. You did a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  16. ur friend here. my bro. call me anytime

    ReplyDelete
  17. The idea of the easy was great. I definitely agree with you because we always need to lose something, so that better things happen in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i agree with you, because i also missed each friends in China. Sometimes i felt lonely in the United States.

    ReplyDelete