Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Goodbye, My Dear Nightlife


    Until I landed in the U.S., I had never imagined to be alive without my Chinese nightlife. In China, I used to hang out with my friends in the evening. If there were more boys among us, we would play pool or snooker, which is my most favorite sports, and go to KTV where we could can easily hold a karaoke party overnight. Otherwise we might go shopping or wander for some special food, go to an amusement park or watch movies until midnight. Besides these younger choices, seniors often prefer to take a walk or do some workout outside. In China, night means fun, night means recreation, and night means the most interesting part of a day. However, in the U.S., the nightlife is totally different from that in China in many aspects, and I have taken pains to adapt to the U.S. nightlife.





    First, the closing time of stores and shopping malls is much earlier in the U.S.. In China, public places are always open until midnight, and some even open until the following morning. For instance, many fast-food restaurants like McDonald’s and KFC always open twenty-four hours. In addition, a lot of night markets only open at night, which are public areas where sellers put a variety of goods on tables in front of themselves. It looks like a combination of retailers and supermarkets with cheaper prices and free fresh air as a bonus. In the past, I used to wander through these places almost every night. However, in the U.S., most of stores close at about six pm. When I first came to Chicago, I was confused about why my family and friends barely went out shopping after sunset. They just replied to me that the stores were all closed. That is unbelievable! Was that the breakup signal of night shopping and me? After that it took a rather long time for me to accept the reality that my interesting nightlife has gone.



    Second, it is much more dangerous to walk on the streets in the U.S. than in China. In China, I can directly walk home through dozens of quiet blocks without any worry. In the U.S., I will receive dozens of warnings from family or friends before I decide to walk home, even only several blocks. According to the crime statistics, the murder rate of the U.S. is four point two times more than China’s. The robbery rate of the U.S. is six times more than China’s, and the violent crime rate of the U.S. is incredible-eighteen times more than China’s. That is a big reason why the nightlife in the U.S. is always indoors. (http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/China/United-States/Crime)



    The most important reason that my old nightlife is slipping away is culture. Different phenomenons come from different cultures. People in China think night is the time to get outdoors and have some fun. They may play some games like Mahjong under the overpasses, or dance in groups on the squares, or even just sit on the park chairs from six to ten at night. In fact, I don’t know why this happens, but Chinese people do like to be outside in the evening. Even though the temperature is very low, there are always some men drinking and chatting by the side of street. On the other hand, people in the U.S. do not have this kind of natural necessity, but it doesn’t mean that they do not go out at night. In fact, lots of pubs are full of people all the night in the U.S., and if there are some festival shows or parades, where we can see the crowds everywhere until midnight. The real difference is that night in China is the time to get out, while night in the U.S. could be time to get out to do something. In China, the purpose is getting out. In the U.S., the purpose is doing something.





    I am not saying that the life in the U.S. is boring. Actually it is a fabulous place to live, but the nightlife overall has been a little disappointing when talking about the nightlife here. After all, my Chinese nightlife which I deeply miss has been lost in translation. Although I really want to go back China and plunge into the nightlife for a few days, I realize that when there is something to lose, there is always something to gain. Therefore, I have decided to explore something like my Chinese nightlife, which particularly exists in the U.S. culture. It may be pub-life, travel-life, or music-life, even someday I will create a new nightlife style which is combined with both Chinese nightlife and the U.S. nightlife.

23 comments:

  1. Maybe, you can change every aspect of your lost life by diving in to the Chinese environment, because at the end of the day, you can live your life the way you want too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are right. However, I think I should try to adapt to the new life. Chicago is not bad at all, right? except the climate ;)

      Delete
  2. I know how you feel about the night life in the U.S. because I have the same problem too. Most stores in my country don't close until midnight not like here the stores close around 6 pm. Also, pool is my favorite game too, I would love to challenge you one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? That's great, we can play pool someday. I think you must be better than me, so don't challenge me because it is too easy for you :)

      Delete
  3. I have the same thing happened here. I know how happy it was and it would be different between the US and here. Hope you will create a new one for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, here the night is not so interesting :(

      Delete
  4. i miss my night life too. i used to hang out with my friends until the morning, but here everybody sleep early.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i miss my night life too. i used to hang out with my friends until the morning, but here everybody sleep early.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well in my country stores and fun places usually close by 9pm, so I didn't really have a night life that is why I am kind of used to the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow, so you can adapt to here quickly. That is great~~~

      Delete
  7. Great essay !! I understand you, in Paris, I used to go out every night with my friends especially in the summer ! I miss that. I love Chicago but here I'm not feeling totally comfortbale with the idea of going out. In France I had some places to stay with my friends and werewe could meet people. Here I didn't find this place yet !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, maybe we can find some places to hang out in summer. I know there will be some music festival.

      Delete
  8. Great essay! I miss the night life in China, too. Since I came to America I have never go outside at night. I also miss the gathering with my friends during the New Year Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, these people who were born here have different entertainments from ours :(((

      Delete
  9. Great essay! I miss the night life in China, too. Since I came to America I have never go outside at night. I also miss the gathering with my friends during the New Year Day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. such good essay thought, i found some interesting points in fact the point of your essay i like better is the violation part. i think there is violation everywhere, but it is just more usual in US

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, one of my friends says that it is because people in the U.S. can have guns under law.

      Delete
  11. such good essay thought, i found some interesting points in fact the point of your essay i like better is the violation part. i think there is violation everywhere, but it is just more usual in US

    ReplyDelete
  12. You were right, Chicago's night more dangerous than our city. Nightlife also is a part of life. Hang out with friends, shopping, drinking and going night restaurant. I like your essay very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, it is hard for us to hang out as usual as we did in China.

      Delete
  13. You were right, Chicago's night more dangerous than our city. Nightlife also is a part of life. Hang out with friends, shopping, drinking and going night restaurant. I like your essay very much.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nightlife, i missed it. I agree with you. When i was in China, i went out with my friends and we have wonderful nightlife. In addition, i miss the " Yeshi", i really miss the Chinese delicious food !!

    ReplyDelete