Friday, March 6, 2015

Memories for Good

Ngoc To( Jade)
English 100
Lost translation essay

                                                  Memories for Good
High school time in Vietnam will never fade because it was a beautiful moment for each student, including myself. I realized that friends, teachers, and the environment of summer at school are the basic aspects that I have lost in the new country. Everybody says that the U.S is a country has high technology, and more opportunities to improve my skills, but the images of Vietnam always stay in my head such as holidays, culture, and high school time. In fact, high school time was the happiest of period life because I built the connection with friends, and good relationship with teacher. Now that I am in the U.S., the experience of that time has not continued, and my life has changed.
The first time I came to school in the U.S., I realized the first thing I have lost was my friends. I met all best friends when I start high school in Vietnam because it was a new environment for students. We contacted and understood the attitude of all the members in the group very well even though we had known each other for a short time. We always hung out and talked every other day after school at any cheap food store on the street. However, I have lived in Chicago for many years, but I have not made any best friend yet. In the U.S. finding a good best friend is hard because people come from a lot of nations around the world, and we have different languages and cultures. Sometime, I am confused about what I should and should not ask others in conversations. Therefore, I always miss my friends back home, and I wish when I go back my country, I can bring them back together like we did before.


In addition to losing the relationship with friends, I also lost the relationship with my teachers. In Vietnam, even if students have graduated or worked at the different location, they still come back to visit their old teachers and share their successes on Teachers’ Day, so our relationships continue building every year. I know the teachers in the U.S. are very nice, kind and very friendly with every student, and especially foreigner students, but I have never felt confident when I talked or asked them questions. Thus, I lost the connection with them, but I still keep and remember my old traditional holiday called Teachers’ Day.


Furthermore, I have lost the red color of the royal Poinciana and the sound of cicadas in the schoolyard, which are a signal of summer. In Vietnam, when the students see the red color of the royal Poinciana fall fully on the surface at schoolyard, and hear the special buzzing sound of cicadas, they released that summer has almost arrived, and it is the time say bye to old friends and teachers. The feeling of happiness and sadness mingle at that moment. However, the U.S. has not had any signals remind me the summer, besides feeling hot of the weather. Therefore, it is missing these bright color and buzzing sound that always represented  the end of the school year



I might be living in new country, but the images of hanging out with all best friends, celebrating Teachers ‘Day, and looking at special flower every summer are missing from my life. Those images connect with my students’ time, and I will carry those beautiful images for my entire life. Therefore, if someone asks, what is the most impressive thing when you think about your country, right away, my answer is my student time.

26 comments:

  1. yeah you are right it is hard to find best friends easily in Chicago

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, because of language, we can't express our emotion by some simple words, and can't directly explain ideas.

      Delete
  2. In china, students will celebrate with their teachers in teacher's day too. as you said, in the U.S, it is hard to continent the relationship with teachers after graduate. And we can't be friend with the teachers in U.S because we are not confident to communicate to the teachers with English.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it depends to the teachers, I feel confident with some of them( not all of them).

      Delete
  3. I agree with you that it is hard to make best friends in the U.S. maybe because of the different cultures. Also, I liked how the students visit their teachers to tell them about what they have done since they graduated from the high school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes,I had one Match teacher for high school. she helped me a lot with my trouble math, and I usually visited her when the teacher's day came. Furthermore, I am living in the U.S.,I could not visit her and share my successful with her like before , but I tried to save my time for couple minus to call her.I still kept my relationship with her :)

      Delete
  4. When I was in high school back in my country Nigeria, we also celebrated teachers day in fact we used to vote for the best teacher of the term on teachers day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is interesting to know. it could be a different way to celebrated

      Delete
  5. Hello!
    I like your story. I didn't know the Poinciana tree, looks beautiful. I think is wonderful that you can treasure all these memories because it can help you in difficult times, when you feel lonely.
    With your story, I feel that in Vietnam have a huge respect about your teachers and this, I liked a lot.

    Thanks for sharing!
    = )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your essay is great! It is so nice that even after graduation students in Vietnam keep in touch with their teachers. In Ukraine is the same , but mostly for children elementary and middle schools.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we shared our successful with the teacher we like because i like my teacher her school more than elementary or middle school.:)

      Delete
  7. Hi Jade, your essay is a very good one. It reminded me about my memory of my high school life. The time of high school is a most memorable time in my life too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, we became teenagers at high school age, i had a lot of funs there which i will never forgotten. I think the high school in any asian country is more wonderful and memorable than other country. :)
      because most asian country have strength culture.

      Delete
  8. Hi Jade !
    Your essay was very good ! I really liked it. I can understand you because I miss my friends. However, our expericences were différents ! I think high school was a really bad period of my life. My teachers were awfull, they used to insult us. But I made some wonderful friend during my High School and I can understand you about that. Since I'm arrived, I made some godd friend and compared to you I love to have friends who came from others countries, Ilike this idea of multinationalites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have wonderful best friends for high school and good memorizes. In fact, the teachers were ok, they were not really perfect to all of us.

      Delete
  9. wow, it seems like you have such a beautiful homeland~~~Were these pictures took in your school? I really hope to have some pictures of my school and my college for memory. I think I need to ask google for some~~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kakakak These are not picture of my school, i searched these from google. All school have same landscapes. If you visit my country, you will see those landscapes of each

      Delete
  10. I really like your essay, you mention some good points. In my home country we dont have teacher day, but i still keep good relation with my teacher in Togo. In a second point I think i will become your best friend as you don't have yet, in fact the diversity of our culture should let us have a lot to talk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that 's nice when you still keep relationship with your teachers there. yeah, we are best friend cuz we sit next to each other and easy to share :)

      Delete
  11. I really like your essay, you mention some good points. In my home country we dont have teacher day, but i still keep good relation with my teacher in Togo. In a second point I think i will become your best friend as you don't have yet, in fact the diversity of our culture should let us have a lot to talk.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like your essay very much. The high school time was the best moment, for me also. I have thought to write a essay like you, but I couldn't find ideas. You did a good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. got many mistakes for the first draft and i had to rewrite it and . My first draft also did not relate with the topic. I did not have any ideas for the beginning because most classmates choose the holiday for their topic in the essay , and I challenge myself to find something different and more interesting. thank you for your opinions.

      Delete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. in my country we also have teacher's day, but my usually dont like me because i was a bad student

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like this essay because It made me remember the first tie I when to high school in the United States and how uncomfortable was that new experience for me.

    ReplyDelete