Sunday, March 8, 2015

Nostalgia for My Hometown

 Nostalgia for my Hometown
              I have been living in Chicago for two years. I have cousins and some Mexican friends who live in Chicago as well. In fact, some of them were born and grew up here. When they have celebrations, they invite me, and I attend the party thinking it is going tobe great like the unforgettable parties that I and my family  used to have in Mexico; however, everything is different. The food, music, social environment, jokes and language all have an American touch. Mexicans have variety of interesting customs and traditions, and it all depends on the region they come from. People prepare different Mexican typical food from their state, and play music of the region. In most of the areas, celebrations last until midnight depending on the social environment and security. My family is exceptional when they have parties or meetings in Mexico, and I have nostalgia for those meetings and celebrations. I never imagined I would miss those maybe insignificant but important events. People have celebrations around the world, around Chicago and around the neighborhood where I live, but nothing as those special celebrations  that we used to have in my town with my beautiful family.
       
         
         Especially on these cold and cloudy days, I feel nostalgia for having another unforgettable gathering with my sisters and my brother in my parents’ house to have a spontaneous dinner just with a simple excuse as good as the beautiful weather. I remember my mother relaxing in a rocking chair in the garden of  the house, and  talking to my sister about funny memories of me and my brother when we were infants  while my sibling was having fun playing board games with my nephews.  My 
father and my brother enjoyed the evening talking about the baseball games that they were used to play on Saturdays. Sometimes I dream about when I used to meet my cousins in the park of the mountain that is located in the south of the city. After walking kilometers and kilometers we stopped in front of the waterfall that has a shape like a pony tail, and  enjoyed hearing the water falling down from that amazing  waterfall. We really had fun, those were fantastic times that I would never forget.


            I will never forget the wonderful  celebrations with my aunts, uncles, grandparents and my cousins. We shared out hugs and kisses with everyone; my uncles made everybody laugh with their unique jokes; my cousins sang for everyone with their tuneful voice using real microphones on that incredible stage that my creative uncles built just for us. We could sing the whole wonderful night if we wanted and of course we wanted; my cousins sang like if they were famous artists of Hollywood. Everyone was happy to see each other after the last celebration a month ago, most of the time. New Year’sEve, baby showers, baptism, first communion, birthdays, and Mother's Days were important dates to organize big, amazing, and funny parties. The whole family had great moments sharing opinions, remembering previous parties, taking pictures, enjoying special moments; moments that I wish I could have here in Chicago, but is hard to imitate them.

  



           I treasure all those beautiful memories; however, I greatly miss the delicious food from my country especiallyfrom my city. Even though Chicago has many Mexican restaurants with excellent quality and distinguished attentions, I miss eating at hometown, and live those moments when I helped my mother preparing delicious gourmet recipes; likewise, my younger sister prepared a delightful dessert dish. In other occasions, my father and my brother enjoyed grilling a juicy and exquisite meat, and some fresh potatoes and onions. Sometimes, we decided to go to some of the restaurants that were close to the mountains; we could order variety food from the state and at the same time hear the musical group playing the accordion, piano or the guitar. It is wonderful how I can smell those weekends like if I were there in this perfect moment.


In spite of the terrible circumstances that my wonderful city surrounded of mesmerizing mountains is living in these days, they don't stop having big celebrations showing up their happiness. Hopefully those circumstances have changed by the time we go back to Monterrey to visit our family and have a special celebration because they would be happy to hug us once. 
I should start making celebrations with some of my cousin and friends here in Chicago, and show them part of my culture.

         


22 comments:

  1. You are having a wonderful family. Even you live in U.S now,I hope you can continue the Mexican party culture with your friends and let them feel how amazing it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully the Mexican celebrations will get much better in the future, so you can enjoy it. I miss the traditional food in my country too. Though there are some restaurants make traditional kinds of food in the U.S, but it still not as good as back home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rosy, your story touched me.
    I understand very well, because you know, I'm Mexican too.
    Is hard not to have the same celebrations here because is true, in Mexico the celebrations could be for anything! Or for everything! I mean, my family as yours, enjoys the simple gatherings only to be together and frequently are only for pleasure and to keep up with the changes of our lives. On the other hand, we have special celebrations too.
    I understand too that the insecurity in our country has affected us. I hope someday it change.
    Thanks for sharing!
    = )

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your essay because it reminds me about my family . I feel nostalgia sometimes also. I had a cousin that used to live five minutes away from my house in Ukraine. I went to her house for a cup of coffee every day. It was my sweet routine:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,
    It was great ! Your essay was really good, I totally understand you ! I'm here since 6 months and it was the first year that I spent Christmas without my grand parents and my cousins and I remember that I fell nostalgia about that. My parents, sisters and I spent Christmas with Americans and it was really different but great ! I live here now so I need to have new traditions I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree with you. We have to get used to not only American traditions, but some other traditions from people who come around the world

      Delete
  7. Your essay is great! I think most of us miss the holiday celebration in our own country. I miss the Chinese New Year in China, I can't find the feeling that I had in China.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  8. Your essay is great! I think most of us miss the holiday celebration in our own country. I miss the Chinese New Year in China, I can't find the feeling that I had in China.

    ReplyDelete
  9. it seems like you had a such wonderful celebration way. I also miss my Chinese New Year sooooooooo much~~~it is sad that I cannot enjoy Christmas as much as Chinese New Year... :((

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have a such good family. You make me miss my family. When Chinese New coming, my relatives will come grandparents' home and we celebrate together.However, the celebration is totally different for living in America.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have a such good family. You make me miss my family. When Chinese New coming, my relatives will come grandparents' home and we celebrate together.However, the celebration is totally different for living in America.

    ReplyDelete
  12. from ur essay, I learn a lot about ur country and ur family. That s really good. I am jealous ur have a good family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was not able to identify the main points in your essay. it was a little confusing in my opinion but I think is a nice title you just need to give life to it.

    ReplyDelete